The Signup Process

My complete sign up process took just over a year. The first time that I came into the recruitment office, to submit my sign up forms, was in July 2004. I started my service in August 2005 and there were two reasons for this nearly one year gap. The first reason is that there is a significant amount of waiting in-between appointments, and the second is that the aircrew selection is only held twice a year.

First step you submit your papers. This includes your resume, school grades, references and some other minor documents. What's nice about this stage is that you fill out this huge form with all the work and school information from the past 10 years: a good document to have, even for your own sake. It forces you to look back and reflect on the things you've done. Next are an interview and an aptitude test.

The interview is very straight forward. Be honest, tell them why you want to join and ask any questions you might have. They will ask you about your addictions, even about how frequently you drink tea or pop. Don't worry if you've done drugs, you can still join BUT you will not be allowed to continue while serving in the military. There is also a serious question about understanding that orders have to be followed and that one day you might have to use a firearm to take someone's life.

"If pre-selected, you will be submitted to the electronic Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (eCFAT). This test is very important as it gives your military career counselor an indication of what occupations you may be best suited for. The test includes questions to measure your language skills, your spatial ability, and your problem solving skills." (from http://www.forces.ca) By the way, a good resource for many military topics is the army.ca forum. Here, for example, are some good resources to prepare you for the test.

And in case you can't access the above website, here is a direct link to a practice CFAT. As you'll see, the questions are quite basic. The actual exam is not any more difficult, same type of questions, just different.

Apparently fitness is no longer tested before enrolment. When I was joining in 2005 there was a running test which I had to prepare for. I had to make a 2.4 km run within 13 minutes. To tell you the truth it wasn't that hard but I pushed myself to get a better result. My advice to new recruits is to be ready because the better shape you're in the easier it will be to march around with an 80 lb rack sack on your back or do the morning PT (physical training) exercises.

As for the medical tests they are straight forward as well. You'll see a doctor for an overall health assessment, have your blood tested, eye sight verified, and hearing checked. The first eye exam is cool. They dilate your pupils with special drops and it lingers for few hours. That's why they will tell you to bring sunglasses and you're not supposed to be driving that day.

The aircrew selection is the most interesting part of the sign-up process. First of all it is in Trenton, Ontario, which means that you will be flown in, fed and accommodation will be provided. It takes 3 days in Trenton to determine if you are smart enough to be a pilot or a navigator and then 2 days in Toronto to further test your health.

Here is a picture of the simulator in Trenton. It's very basic but it is sufficient to weed out those that don't have the necessary eye-hand coordination. It also checks if you can follow instructions and if you are a quick learner.



Here you can see the accommodations in Trenton. Basically an equivalent of a modern motel, you've got room service, cable, Internet, etc.





The tests in Toronto are quite interesting. You will really find out everything about your health here. Some guys came through and discovered about heart issues that they didn't even know they had. They take all kinds of x-rays, tests and pictures like the one of the back of your eyeballs. This test is repeated every few years and then the pictures are compared with the old ones. This way they can tell if there are any changes happening inside your eyes, an indication of a possible problem.


Click here to go back to the main page.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How old were you when you joined the CF?

Martin M said...

I was 30. Most guys in my platoon were in their 20's but some were even older than me.

theonetheycallvictor said...

This may seem to personal, but what was your GPA in college to get in, or at least do you know what the average GPA was to get in. Basically, I'd like to know more about the deciding factors of getting in. Do they care between science or arts degree, do they put a lot of weight on extra cirircular?

Martin M said...

Hey no worries, I can answer that. My grades were pretty good (I'd say B+ average) but I've seen guys from arts degrees and with really low scores who got in as well (even after having failed some courses). So do your best in school but don't worry about not getting in because of grades. The military is more interested in your personality and the training that's needed will be provided by them. You should give a call to your nearest recruiter, they will probably give you more details on this.

Martin M said...

oh and I barely had any extra curricular, when they need people they need people. As long as you're willing to learn they will want to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Hey I applied for the Air Force as a pilot. I graduated and have a bachelors degree in philosophy. I have the aptitude test next week, really excited. What are my chances of getting in the Air Force as a pilot. I have no previous experience.

Martin M said...

Seems like you have all the required prerequisites. The fact that you're excited about the sign up says a lot too, you're passionate about becoming a pilot. I've met some great performing pilots that have never flown before signing up. On the other hand, I don't think the private flying I did before the course helped me much. Good luck!

Suneek said...

Hi Martin,

First of all thank you for such a great blog. I have read everything here(more than once). Amazing source of information.

I am currently in the recruiting process to join RCAF as a pilot. Recruiter told me, the air crew selection processes has the highest failing rate. Can you please recommend any resources to prepare best for that test ? Intellectually and Physically ?

Hope you are having a good time in Poland. Looking forward to more blogs from you.

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin,

First of all thank you for such a great blog. I have read everything here(more than once). Amazing source of information.

I am currently in the recruiting process to join RCAF as a pilot. Recruiter told me, the air crew selection processes has the highest failing rate. Can you please recommend any resources to prepare best for that test ? Intellectually and Physically ?

Hope you are having a good time in Poland. Looking forward to more blogs from you.

Thanks again.

Martin M said...

Hi Sunseek,

I found the simulator test the most difficult (I was behind the plane, over reacting to flight changes). So my flight path looked a bit crooked (You basically fly a circuit, by following a rectangle on the screen). I think practising with a fly simulator on your computer would be helpful. Guys that were good at video games also did very well on the simulator test.

The other test that was difficult was memory test, but that was for navigation which they test you for anyways. Basically you sit in front of a computer screen in a room by yourself. And answer the questions, for example, they display 6 digits very quickly and then you have to retype it when it disappears from the screen. Or a bunch of numbers and characters, which also disappear and you have to retype what you saw from back to front (in reverse order).

As for physical preparation all I can say is be in shape. This part of test wasn't difficult for anyone in my group. They basically want to confirm that you're healthy. It happens that someone might have a heart condition and they don't even know about it.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for providing aspiring air force pilots with such in depth information.

I have recently passed my CFAT and have been qualified for the Pilot trade.
I was wondering, for the Aircrew Selection at Trenton, are applicants provided with written aid (pen/pencil and paper) to carry out calculations regarding any speed/distance/time questions.

I am practicing basic arithmetic and also trying to increase my problem solving skills and memory capacity. Is there anything else, I can do to prepare for the ACS?

Thanks,
Karan

Martin M said...

Hi Karan, at the time I went through it depended on the test. I think some of them did involve writing. But I'm certain not all of them. There was one test where you had to look at the information displayed on the screen and then retype it after it has disappeared (say a sequance of numbers, etc.).

Keep doing what you're doing but also fuel your body with nutrient dense foods and animal fats for top brain performance. Check out the Weston A. Price Foundation podcast :) I wish I knew this back in those days. But instead, no one wondered about what we consumed. Top it off with parties and alcohol. You get my point.

Good luck!